The Age of Love Inn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Age of Love Inn

A refuge for the displaced AoC community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!*

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Amorey
Moose Troll
Amorey

Female
Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2008-04-25

J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!* Empty
PostSubject: J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!*   J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!* Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Tolkien's poetry is usually underrated by many; but on the contrary,
it is what distinguished Tolkien's writings from that of others writers.
Tolkien employed a variety of rhymic patterns and sometimes
mixed them together to produce highly complicated poems.

All my adult life it's been lived in the shadow of Tolkien. his work is part of me.
I still remember the first time ever I opened The Fellowship of the Rings.

The only essential feature you really need to have to understand Tolkien's books,
poems and songs is a bit of ingenuity and true belief in goodness.
Tolkien is thrilling, exciting, captiviting and extremely unpredictable;
Tolkien is mysterious and charming;
Tolkien is British to the backbone and international at the same time. .........

'Namarie'

Ai! laurië lantar lassi súrinen,
yéni únótimë ve rámar aldaron!
Yéni ve lintë yuldar avánier
mi oromardi lisse-miruvóreva
Andúnë pella, Vardo tellumar
nu luini yassen tintilar i eleni
ómaryo airetári-lírinen.

Sí man i yulma nin enquantuva?

An sí Tintallë Varda Oiolossëo
ve fanyar máryat Elentári ortanë,
ar ilyë tier undulávë lumbulë;
ar sindanóriello caita mornië
i falmalinnar imbë met, ar hísië
untúpa Calaciryo míri oialë.
Sí vanwa ná, Rómello vanwa, Valimar!

Namárië! Nai hiruvalyë Valimar.
Nai elyë hiruva. Namárië!
Back to top Go down
http://hyborian-chronicle.blogspot.com/
Guildmaster
Humpspammer
Guildmaster

Male
Number of posts : 367
Location : Sweden! Where the grass is green and the skies are just slightly contaminated

PostSubject: Re: J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!*   J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!* Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2008 7:09 pm

I know some great Tolkien poetry but they re all in swedish though...
Back to top Go down
Amorey
Moose Troll
Amorey

Female

PostSubject: Re: J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!*   J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!* Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 10:38 am

TOLKIEN BOOKS

-The Silmarillion

-The Hobbit

-The Lord of the Rings

The above three major Middle-earth books and are to be considered as the outline or the blueprint of the history of Middle-earth, when compared to the whole that Tolkien had created.
Sadly with his passing, Tolkien had also left gaps untold between the tales with questions unanswered.
Fortunately, Tolkien had also left many manuscripts that bear these answers, however the original hand that wrote them is no more

-Unfinished Tales

collection of wonderful tales range from the First Age to the end of the Third Age, such as the history of the Istari

-The History of Middle-earth, 12 volumes

"There is a place called 'heaven', where the good here unfinished is completed; and where the stories unwritten, and the hopes unfufilled, are continued. We may laugh together yet..."

-The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien

collection of 354 letters that Tolkien wrote to friends, fan readers, and family members during 1914~1973

-Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien

Tolkien was also talented in drawing and painting

-The Father Christmas Letters

letters that he sent to his children for Christmas gifts

-Roverandom

An adventure story of a dog who was magicked into a toy puppy by a mad wizard.Written for one of his children

-Mr. Bliss

This story has many traits found in hobbits

-The Monsters and the Critics

collection of Tolkien's 6 scholarly essays and his retirement speech in 1959

-Tales from the Perilous Realm

-The Tolkien Reader

-On Fairy-stories

-Leaf by Niggle

roughly 20 pages; this short story can best reflect some of Tolkien's personal views about life

-The Adventures of Tom Bombadil

-Farmer Giles of Ham

-Smith of Wootton Major

-The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth
Back to top Go down
Guildmaster
Humpspammer
Guildmaster

Male
Location : Sweden! Where the grass is green and the skies are just slightly contaminated

PostSubject: Re: J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!*   J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!* Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 12:14 am

Thank you Amorey for this wonderful list, this goes straight into the safe realm of my hardrive!
Back to top Go down
Amorey
Moose Troll
Amorey

Female

PostSubject: Re: J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!*   J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!* Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 11:27 am

J.R.R. TOLKIEN

J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!* Tolkien

Tolkien was an eminent scholar of English Language, twice elected professor at Oxford, specializing in Anglo-Saxon and medieval literature he was a distinguished philologist and linguist.

Throughout his academic life as a scholar, Tolkien had made valuable contributions to his profession and had given new meanings to medevial literature. He is moreover best remembered today as the author of The Lord of the Rings, an adventure romance that takes place in the fantasy world of Middle-earth, which he profoundly created and filled it with enchanting legends, peoples and cultures, languages and histories. The magnitutde of his successful achievement has earned him the title of The Master of Fantasy.
Back to top Go down
Mongrol
Moose Troll
Mongrol

Male
Number of posts : 142

PostSubject: Re: J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!*   J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!* Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 1:10 am

Amorey Leilani - thank you for this thread - please let it grow more... this is one of my favourite subjects

alien
Back to top Go down
http://www.mongrol.co.uk
Amorey
Moose Troll
Amorey

Female

PostSubject: Re: J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!*   J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!* Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 9:06 pm

THE LORE OF MIDDLE EARTH

The Silmarillion:

Beren and Luthien

If like me you consider the Lord of the Rings one of the greatest books written in human history, then The Silmarillion is a must for you. LOTR can be read as a self-contained story, thanks to the detailed Notes that Tolkien painstakingly provides, but it still leaves many unanswered questions.

After all, LOTR covers the 3rd Age of Middle Earth, telling us very little about the previous two ages.
And it is full of tantalizing references to the past glories of Numenor, the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, the origins of the elves, dwarves and men, the various Lays and so on.

The Silmarillion is, if anything, on an even larger scale.
Its chronology starts at the Creation of the Universe and builds to the events of the climactic Third Age that are described in LOTR.

If LOTR is awesome, the Silmarillion is stupendous. A proper order would be to read the Silmarillion, followed by The Hobbit and then LOTR. But even reading them out of order (as most readers would have) is rewarding.

The Silmarillion starts at the very beginning with the story of the creation of the Universe, (a fascinating tale in itself) and then lays the ground for the various players on this vast stage.

It is in fact 5 separate books. First comes the Ainulindale which is the story of the creation of Tolkien's Universe.
Then comes the Valaquenta, the tale of the Valar or Guardians.
Third in the chronology is the Quenta Silmarillion itself - the tale of the Silmarilli.
Fourth comes the Akallabeth, the tale of the rise and fall of the Men of Numenor in the First Age.
And almost as a footnote, the fifth and last book, Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age.

The fabled jewels or Silmarilli give the book its name and are the thread that binds the various tales of the book together.

The tales themselves are fascinating as Tolkien tells of love and war, of courage and treachery, of nobility and baseness. There are great battles and mighty warriors, bewitching romances and spellbinding intrigues, great victories and grinding defeats.

And of course the lyrical prose: Tolkien is one of the very few writers whose very prose reads like poetry.
The ring and cadence of names, the melody inherent in the lyrics of his songs: this is fine writing at its peak. Just wonderful!
Back to top Go down
Guildmaster
Humpspammer
Guildmaster

Male

PostSubject: Re: J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!*   J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!* Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 10:24 pm

Mongrol wrote:
Amorey Leilani - thank you for this thread - please let it grow more... this is one of my favourite subjects

alien

Oh you are certainly not alone there Mongrol! viking (NEW SMILEYS!)

But what confundles me is why the original thrilogy never contains a single shred of information about anything called the silmarillions. If you havent read the pre-thrilogy books you have no clue what so ever, surely Sauron would have covered himself in them if he ever got hold of them...

I have only read a couple of few stories, not the Silmarillion. But I still know they were created by the Feanor and I have read multiple stories including them, mostly does actually.

The two stories I like best is the Fall of Gondolin and the Tale of Tinuviel.

Sorry for bad translations, etc... I read the swedish version! king

This is a good thread! thumb up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!*   J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!* Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

J.R.R. Tolkien...*The One to Rule Them All!*
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Age of Love Inn :: The Stage :: The Minstrel's Corner-
Jump to: